Google has released its year-in-review lists with the most-searched items of 2016!
1. Powerball – Everyone was checking to see if they had to go into work after playing the lottery, with the new record high being $1.6 billion in January. Other big totals were $430 million, $487 million, $421 million.
2. Prince – The 80’s pop star shocked the world with his sudden passing on April 21, which was later announced as a prescription drug overdose.
3. Hurricane Matthew – The tropical storm which blasted the Eastern United States from September 28 to October 10 and left an estimated 1,600 dead and over $10 billion in damages.
4. Pokémon Go – The popular 90’s card-based game came back in a virtual reality app for mobile devices & had parents and kids getting out of the house and walking around their neighborhoods & cities.
5. Online Game Slither.io – This one was new to us, too!
6. The Olympics – The Olympics always get big search results from people searching the top performers, but some off –campus activities made this year’s Olympics the sixth most searched for event.
7. David Bowie – Another music legend was taken from us this year, David Bowie passed away on January 10, just two days after his 69th birthday. So long, Ziggy Stardust.
8. Donald Trump – Our President-elect came in the Top 10 for his historic presidential nomination to his eventual winning of the office and everything in between.
9. The Election – Election year… no shock!
10. Hillary Clinton – Donald Trump’s running mate.
Source: Google Trends